Executive Director Search
HOMECorp is a community based non-profit agency in Montclair NJ dedicated to providing affordable housing for low and moderate income families and to providing financial literacy counseling to our clients. Our mission is to make housing accessible to all as renters and homeowners. We are unique in that we service many aspects of affordable housing: we manage our rental buildings, we build homes for sale at affordable prices in an expensive real estate market, and we are an advocacy organization which is committed to be a conscience of the community.
If you are an experienced leader who shares a passion for our mission of preserving economic diversity and community revitalization through the creation of Affordable Housing, this is an exciting opportunity. The ideal candidate brings experience in providing affordable housing, strong interpersonal skills, experience in raising private, foundation, and government funds, and fiscal management experience. Our compensation package is commensurate with experience.
HOMECorp has a $900,000 annual operating budget. Full time employees include a property manager, operations manager, and a housing counselor. Part-time employees and contractors include a grant writer, support staff and an enthusiastic group of volunteers. HOMECorp also has an engaged board that assists in fundraising.
- The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall leadership and management of HOMECorp.
- The ED effectively promotes HOMECorp in the community, leads all aspects of property development and management, and represents HOMECorp to our public and private funding agencies.
- The ED actively spearheads the efforts to find new sources of funding and generates new fund-raising strategies.
- The ED reports to the Board and serves on Board committees.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, and CREDENTIALS:
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience required
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, Finance, Urban Planning or other pertinent area is a plus.
- Executive experience in real estate, banking or a nonprofit a plus.
- Other skills and experience desired include:
- Leadership, management and interpersonal skills working with stakeholders, staff and volunteers
- The ability to work effectively with public officials
- Experience with cultivating partnerships with sponsors and funding agencies
- Experience with working effectively in a diverse, urban community
- Experience with development of innovative programs
- Experience with nonprofit financial management and budget preparation
- Experience with federal and state regulations relating to affordable housing
- A proven success record with fundraising
SPECIFIC AREAS of RESPONSIBILITY:
- Property Development
- Identify properties and complete evaluations to ensure a steady flow of real estate development projects
- Secure financing and supervise construction of development projects
- Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Work with the Treasurer to prepare an annual budget;
- Ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines
- Working with the Board of Trustees develop and implement a realistic, ambitious fundraising plan with new sources of income
- Identify sources of government funding for affordable housing
- Establish positive relationships with key funders
- Direct and manage grant writing consultants
- Community Relations
- Serve as an effective spokesperson and increase awareness of HOMECorp in the communit
- Establish sound working relationships with community groups, government officials, funders, real estate and banking professionals
- Assure the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to stakeholders
- Board Relations
- Communicate effectively and maintain a good working relationship with the Board
- Participate in identifying and recruiting new Board members
- Work with the Board to develop and implement strategic and fund-raising plans
- Administrative and Human Resources Management
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and development of paid staff, contractors and volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to EDSearch@homecorp.org.
In your cover letter please provide responses to the two following questions:
- We believe that affordable housing is foundational to our community’s social fabric. Describe your experience in making this concept a reality?
- What in your experience demonstrates an ability to inspire and motivate others?